The best of television around the world was announced last night at a ceremony in New York. Turkish series Family Secrets (Yargı) won the Best Telenovela award, while several other popular programs in Türkiye received awards in different categories.
The 56 nominees for this year’s awards, handed out by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, came from 20 countries across six continents. Candidates competed for first place in 14 categories.
STREAMING COMPANIES DOMINATION
Turkish telenovela Family Secrets (Yargı), German miniseries The Empress, Mexican drama La Caída and actor Martin Freeman were among the top winners at the 51st annual International Emmy Awards.
In a sign of how important streaming companies have become to the international TV industry, Amazon and Netflix dominated the best drama category this year. Two nominees came from Netflix: South Korean legal drama Extraordinary Attorney Woo, featuring Park Eun-bin as an autistic rookie female lawyer with a genius IQ, and German period drama The Emperess, the legendary love story between Austrian-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph and Elisabeth von Wittelsbach, aka “Sissi.” Two nominees came from Amazon: the Argentine historical thriller Yosi, the Regretful Spy from director Daniel Burman, about the real-life intelligence scandal that led to two of the worst terrorist attacks in Latin America, and British thriller The Devil’s Hour starring Peter Capaldi.
AVUSTRALYA AND UNITED KINGDOM LEADING
At the International Emmy Awards, TV programs from all continents won awards, with the United Kingdom and Australia leading the pack. Brazil took first place in the unscripted series category for the adventure competition series A Ponte (The Bridge). A Netflix comedy from India, Vir Das: Landing shared the comedy series award with the UK’s Derry Girls.
Succession creator and showrunner Jesse Armstrong received the 2023 Founders Award in honor of his life’s work. Ektaa R. Kapoor, co-founder of Indian TV production powerhouse Balaji Telefilms, was honored with the 2023 International Emmy Directorate Award, which highlights excellence among C-suite executives.
WHICH PRIZE WENT TO WHOM?
- Buffy Sainte-Marie: Carry It On
- Eagle Vision – White Pine Pictures – Paquin Entertainment – Canada
- Buffy Sainte-Marie: Carry it On is a challenging account of this cultural and musical icon’s lifelong commitment to music, and sharing the truth. Buffy shares her own story from her early love of music to the activism she continues to this day.
- Art Is Our Voice, NHK (Japan)
- Los Tigres Del Norte: Historias Que Contar, Prime Video – Filmadora (Mexico)
- Music Under the Swastika‚ The Maestro and the Cellist of Auschwitz, 3B-Produktion GmbH – Deutsche Welle (Germany)
Best Performance by an Actor
- Martin Freeman in The Responder
- Dancing Ledge Productions – United Kingdom
- Chris (Martin Freeman) drives a frontline response vehicle in his fragmented hometown of Liverpool. Night after night he faces crime, violence and addiction on the streets, whilst battling against personal demons that threaten to destabilize his work, his marriage and his mental health.
- Gustavo Bassani in Iosi, El Espía Arrepentido, Oficina Burman (The Mediapro Studio) – Amazon (Argentina)
- Jonas Karlsson in Nattryttarna [Riding in Darkness], Jarowskij (Sweden)
- Jim Sarbh in Rocket Boys, Culver Max Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. (Formerly known as Sony Pictures Networks India Pvt. Ltd.) – Emmay Entertainment – Roy Kapur Films (India)
Best Performance by an Actress
- Karla Souza in La Caída [Dive]
- Madam – Filmadora – Infinity Hill – Amazon – Mexico
- Mariel started diving when she was 8 years old. The pool is her life. She says she has water, not blood flowing through her veins. She has trained with Braulio her entire life and trusts him more than she trusts herself. He sees her like no one else can. He keeps his promises; she’s become a world renown Olympic diver. Mariel is the most recognized Mexican athlete of all time. Introverted, disciplined, and determined, Mariel has to choose between Olympic greatness, or healing her painful past.
- Connie Nielsen in Drømmeren – Karen Blixen Bliver Til, Zentropa Episodes ApS – Viaplay – Belga – Stage 5 (Denmark)
- Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie Too, Bad Wolf (United Kingdom)
- Shefali Shah in Delhi Crime – Season 2, SK Global Entertainment – Golden Karavan – Film Karavan (India)
- Derry Girls – Season 3
- Hat Trick Productions – United Kingdom
- Lisa McGee’s sitcom about a group of working-class teenagers coming of age in the 90’s in Northern Ireland. While theres hope in the air that The Troubles may finally be over, the gang’s troubles are only just getting started as they get ever closer to adulthood.
- Vir Das: Landing
- Weirdass Comedy – Rotten Science – Netflix / India
- Vir Das dives deep into his childhood in India, the perils of outrage and finding his footing in the world for his fourth Netflix stand-up special.
- El Encargado [The Boss], Star+ Original Productions – Pegsa (Argentina)
- Le Flambeau – Season 2 [La Flamme], Entre 2 & 4 – Making Prod (France)
- Mariupol: The People’s Story
- Top Hat Productions – Hayloft Productions – BBC / United Kingdom
- Told and mostly filmed by the people of Mariupol, this is the deeply personal account of the destruction of a Ukrainian city. This documentary is a story of war crimes and suffering but also one of startling courage, of the endurance of morality and love in the midst of war, and of undaunted spirit.
- Dossiê Chapecó – O Jogo Por Trás Da Tragédia, Warner Bros. Discovery – Pacha Films (Brazil)
- Nazijäger – Reise In Die Finsternis [Nazi Hunter – Journey Into Darkness], Spiegel TV GmbH (Germany)
- Witness – Serigne vs. The EU, Zungu – Al Jazeera English (Qatar)
- The Empress
Sommerhaus Serien GmbH – Netflix / Germany
When rebellious Elisabeth falls for Emperor Franz and becomes his unlikely bride, she enters a world of tensions and intrigue at the Viennese court.
- OTHER CANDIDATES
- Extraordinary Attorney Woo, Astory – KT Studio Genie (South Korea)
- Iosi, El Espía Arrepentido, Oficina Burman (The Mediapro Studio) – Amazon (Argentina)
- The Devil’s Hour, Hartswood Films – Amazon (United Kingdom)
- A Ponte – The Bridge Brasil
- Warner Bros. Discovery – Endemol Shine Brasil / Brazil
- 12 participants isolated in the wilderness have 20 days to get to know each other and build a bridge that will take them to a treasure that awaits on the other side of a river. If they succeed, they will have to choose the winner.
- Hôtel du Temps: Dalida [The Time Hotel: Dalida], Mediawan – Ardimages (France)
- Love by A.I., Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. – Smart Dog Media (Japan)
- The Great British Bake Off – Season 13, Love Productions (United Kingdom)
- Des Gens Bien Ordinaires [A Very Ordinary World]
- Magneto Prod – Canal+ / France
- In a dystopian world where women hold the power, Romain, a sociology student, is attracted to the bright lights of porn film sets, which he sees as a path to emancipation. This story puts a twist on the porn industry to deliver a critique of our world.
- Lynchings, Record TV (Brazil)
- Man vs. Bee, RedRum Films (United Kingdom)
- The Mandela Project, Paramount (South Africa)
- Harley & Katya
- Stranger Than Fiction Films / Australia
- A documentary about Indigenous Australian figure skater Harley Windsor and his young Russian pair skating partner Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya. This unlikely duo made history, but at what cost?
- 30 Dias Para Ganar, North Films – N+Docs – ViX+ (Mexico)
- Alexia. Labor Omnia Vincit, You First Originals (Spain)
- Two Sides, T+W – Whisper Cymru (South Africa)
- Yargi [Family Secrets]
- Ay Yapim / Turkey
- Prosecutor Ilgaz has to find a highly competent attorney when his brother is accused of murder. He crosses paths with Ceylin, a limitless attorney. Things change when the victim turns out to be Ceylin’s sister. When the war between them turns into a passionate love, everything turns upside down.
- Cara e Coragem, TV Globo (Brazil)
- Pantanal, TV Globo (Brazil)
- Para Sempre [Forever], Plural Entertainment (Portugal)
- La Caída [Dive]
- Madam – Filmadora – Infinity Hill – Amazon / Mexico
- Mariel (Karla Souza) is a veteran competitive diver who has one last chance at the Olympics. However, when a terrible truth surfaces, Mariel has to confront her biggest personal dilemma yet: is winning really her ultimate dream?
- Chaeboljib Maknaeadeul [Reborn Rich], Raemongraein – SLL – ChaebolSPC – VIU (South Korea)
- Infiniti, Empreinte Digitale – Federation Entertainment Belgique (France)
- Life and Death in the Warehouse, BBC Studios (United Kingdom)
- The Smeds and The Smoos
- Magic Light Pictures / United Kingdom
- On a faraway planet, Janet and Bill meet in the Wurpular Wood and fall in love, but their families, the Smeds and the Smoos, cannot accept the match after generations of division. When the pair elope, the warring families must work together to find the young Smed and Smoo.
- Menino Maluquinho [The Nutty Boy], Chatrone (Brazil)
- Moominvalley – Season 3, Gutsy Animations (Finland)
- Rilakkuma’s Theme Park Adventure, Warf Studios – Field Management Expand (Japan)
Kids: Factual & Entertainment
- Built To Survive
- Butter Media – Breslin Media – Australian Broadcasting Corporation – Australian Children’s Television Foundation / Australia
- Get up close to the world’s most unique creatures to reveal the ultimate survivors of Australia’s most extreme natural habitats. Join Phil Breslin in his quest to answer – who is Built to Survive?
- Quintal TV – Season 2 [Yard TV], Canal Futura – Fundação Roberto Marinho (Brazil)
- Takalani Sesame – Season 13, Sesame Workshop – Pulp Films (South Africa)
- Triff… Anne Frank [Meet… Anne Frank], Cross Media – IFAGE (Germany)
- Heartbreak High
- Fremantle – Newbe – Netflix / Australia
- An incendiary mural exposes everyone’s secret hook-ups at Hartley High. Its author, Amerie, has to grapple with the messy fallouts as a total outcast.
- Gudetama: An Eggscellent Adventure, OLM, Inc. (Japan)
- Kol Od Balevav [Memory Forest], TTV Production – Kan Educational – Genesis Philanthropy Group – Gesher Multicultural Film Fund – The AVI CHAI Foundation – Maimonides Fund (Israel)
- Tierra Incógnita, Disney+ Original Productions – Non Stop (Argentina)
INTERNATIONAL EMMY AWARDS
The International Emmy Award is an award given by the International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (IATAS) to television programs produced and broadcast outside the United States. The awards are presented annually in November at the International Emmy Awards Gala in New York City. The first International Emmy ceremony was held in 1973, expanding the scope of the Emmy Awards, which were originally given only to the US.
Click Here for the Content of Family Secrets Receives the Grand Prize at the International Emmy Awards